3.5.12

First of the season

The different climate of Texas is still something I'm not quite used to..... While I aDORE Texan winters, the early onset of high temperatures and scorching sun is still unpleasant. If I were still in Canada, I would still be in my winter gear, shuffling through the season's final snows!

Another thing that I am still not used to is how early you can start planting the year's gardens. In Canada, one would still merely be dreaming about what one wants to plant that year. For us, though, Lauren and Laura have been building our garden for months! Laura has had flowers rotating through her little flower patch by her window all winter long, in fact. A little while ago, we dug Lauren some vegetable patches, where she sowed various veggie seeds. We were all pleasantly surprised to see little radish tops poking through the earth earlier this week! We pulled a few..... aren't they such a beautiful colour?


I tried them, and they are SUPER spicy and earthy.... like a mix between what you would normally expect a radish to be, mixed with horseradish. Still..... It is so gratifying to eat something grown from your own yard. I mixed them into a salad and it was delicious! This salad in fact. I made it twice.... you can substitute chicken for tuna, or add no meat at all; both are equally yummy.

No comments: