5.4.11

Self-professed dork.

I read alot of blogs. They are the perfect length of reading (or looking, in the case of photo blogs) in between interpreting thermal-band satellite imagery and grading papers - and let's be honest - while procrastinating. I love getting a peek into other people's lives and see how they put their lives together, and how/what they create. Oftentimes their creativity sparks my own.

A little while back I stumbled upon Oh, Mishka..... what I love about her is that she is both a stylish and creative soul while studying and loving geology! She posted a very fun list of nerdy tidbits about herself today, which has inspired me to make my own list (yes, laugh. I know you are.).

My list, however, will be a list of dorky tidbits because as my advisor and I have established, a nerd, a dork, and a geek are not the same thing. You have to be really brilliant (think Sheldon Cooper) to qualify for nerd-dom. A geek is slightly less brilliant, but still very very smart. A dork is probably the lowest on the smart cookies spectrum, and is also somewhat goofy/quirky. In otherwords: me. Without further ado:

* I openly claim to be a dork and am fairly proud to be one. I'm not sure that there is anything dorkier.
* When my little sister was in first grade, she was looking for something to bring to school for show-and-tell. I gave her rocks, and proceeded to teach her the three rock types. I successfully convinced her that rocks are cool!
* Every time I watch Kingdom of Heaven and it's the scene where the men are digging a well, when they hit water the thought, "They hit the water table!" rings in my head. Without fail.
* In high school, while the rest of my class moaned and groaned their way through Shakespeare, I read ahead while my teacher explained each scene and puzzled as to why they found it so hard to understand.
* I love Star Wars. I wish I had a light sabre.
* When I see a bird, I think about their flight pattern (bounding? soaring?). When see a kitchen countertop, I think about the minerals that comprise the granite. 'Nuf said.

Lol. There are SO many other things, but this is incriminating enough! What are some quirky/dorky things about YOU?

ps: My brother is now a married man! I can hardly believe that the boy who used to build Lego towns and read Calvin and Hobbes with me is starting his own family. Photos will be posted.... soon....

pps: Spring has arrived in Texas! New banner and photos are coming!!


No comments: