2.4.04

It’s strange how little things make all the difference…. A few different letters in a word change its total meaning. And all too often in the human mind, these “similar” words just all get lumped into one and we never stop to think about how different they really are. For example, take “peace-loving”, “peaceable” and “peace-maker”. We usually associate these terms with each other….. we assume that peace-makers are peaceable as well as peace-loving, but are these terms really automatically inclusive? I’d never thought about it til tonight. To be “peace-loving” and “peaceable” are both pretty passive terms, and to be either isn’t really risky. They’re also self-centred, in a sense. To be a “peace-maker”, on the other hand…. That takes action, and making peace can often be tricky and risky. Peace-making is also selfless, b/c u have to get out of ur comfort zone to make things work out between ppl. Being peace-makers is what God calls us to! Jesus said, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God” (Matt 5: 7).

Which of the three am i? I would prolly call myself peaceable….. I hate conflict. I would rather stay silent than cause an uproar, and I would rather run and hide than fight. *heehee* I am such a chicken! But there it is….. I realize that being peaceable isn’t the be all and end all… there must be times when it is right for me to take a stand, as Jesus did when he turned out the market at the temple, for example. What a sight that must’ve been! But anyway, I digress…… the point is, I should learn to be firm. I know I am a timid person…. And more gentle than rough, but I need to learn to be firm too, b/c there are things that just cannot be compromised.

here's a question for all of u: what are you? are you peace-lovers, peaceable or peace-makers? how far are u from being what God has called us to be?

No comments: